re: three button mouse issues

Subject: re: three button mouse issues
From: Dan (dan.kortschak@adelaide.edu.au)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 16:53:12 MDT

I have done some more detailed disection and I think I should take back some
of the following:

>I noticed that the mouse works as a three button mouse irrespective of whether
>the XF86Config file says its a 1, 2 or 3 button mouse, is this related to the
>problem with emulating 3 buttons on a one-button mouse; that is the kernal
>always threats a USB mouse as a 3-button mouse?

It's true that 3 buttons work the same irrespective of the the mouse setup,
provided you're taking only about the 3 buttons and not the scroll wheel, and
you have booted with the 3-button disconected (that is booting with the
standard USB Mac mouse). I found that if I boot with the 3+ button mouse
selected and the Logitech mouse plugged in, the mouse and keyboard are frozen.
It seems really inelegant to have to boot with one mouse and then switch over
to another to be able to use the scroll wheel. Is there anything that can be
done about this?

thanks
Dan Kortschak

--