increasing memory usage

Subject: increasing memory usage
From: Andrew T (powermac@sympatico.ca)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 10:51:20 MDT

Hey all,

This is not really a big problem (I think) but more a question why.
I have YD running smoothly on my iBook SE with 128 megs RAM. The problem
is that when I boot it shows approx 20 megs used. When running X this
jumps to around 40 or 50 megs used (understandable) but after a while even
if all I run is a terminal window the usage can jump up to the full 120
some megs of usage. I quit X but the ram remains used. Is there any
reason to this or a way to "purge" the memory every once and a while?

Regards,
        Andrew