Re: Video driver?

Subject: Re: Video driver?
From: Michael Long (protean1358@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 20:59:49 MDT

on 5/26/00 6:24 PM, Hiroto Sawane at hirotos@swanstudio.com wrote:

> Newbie question.... would someone help me?
>
> Now my YDL is running properly, I noticed I still needed to do some
> configuration.... video card driver. When I'm in X-Windows environment, the
> system displays only 256 colors. How do I install a video driver so that I
> could display at its full capability?
>
> My video card (the one Linux uses anyway.... I've got dual-monitor setup) is
> ATI Rage 128 (The default one that came with my G4)
>
> Or is there any documentations included on the disk?
>
> Thanks

Hey,
    I too have a G4 Sawtooth, and I am currently undergoing the process of
upgrading vmlinux and XFree86 and have found these necessary components,
though I cannot say they work on my box yet. The Yellow Dog Disk isn't even
adequate for inastallation instructions as you know, I couldn't find
anything on the G4 graphics support problem on that CD.
I downloaded MacGZip-
<http://persephone.cps.unizar.es/General/gente/spd/gzip/gzip.html> and Ben
H's newest kernel <http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh/>. What you have to do
is use MacGZip to unzip the new kernel. Then, go into Linux and download
the system map and modules from the same page (Ben's LinuxPPC Page) and
untar and install them. Also download the new XFree86 4.0 and install this.
once you have done these tasks on the linux side go back into Mac OS and put
the new kernel you unzipped onto your Start-up drive, replacing it with the
previous version of vmlinux. Configure your text scripts, etc.,.......
If you do this before I do, let me know how it worked, or hang-ups.

 --
Michael Long <protean1358@earthlink.net>