C Compiler Problems

Subject: C Compiler Problems
From: Kelly Nicklin (knicklin@ops.org)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 10:31:31 MDT

I'm trying to install PHP from a source distribution (it's a newer version
than the one that came on the YDL CD and I need to enable the --with-mysql
option) and I get the following error message: "C compiler cannot create
executables"

I did a standard install of CS1.2, so I'm rather confused as to why the
compiler wont' work.

Here's the config.log file. Hopefully it will provide somebody some useful
information.

start config.log:
This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

configure:759: checking whether build environment is sane
configure:786: checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles
configure:817: checking for bison
configure:851: checking bison version
configure:861: checking for gcc
configure:974: checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works
configure:990: gcc -o conftest conftest.c 1>&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot open crt1.o: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:

#line 985 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

main(){return(0);}
end config.log

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mr. Kelly Nicklin knicklin@ops.org
Web Development/Internet Support Voice 402/557-2514
Omaha Public Schools FAX 402/557-2509
3215 Cuming St.
Omaha, NE 68131