Re: Pattern matching...

Subject: Re: Pattern matching...
From: Chris Ruprecht (chrup@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 16:43:54 MDT

tar -xvf xxx.tar parent/[b-m]*

backs up everything which starts with b-m in the parentdirectory.

if you have files calles psst-me-too and zzz-i-also-want-on then you can do
tar -xvf xxx.tar parent/[a-m,o-z]* which does everything in parent except n.
it doesn't do [A-Z,0-9] and everything which starts with a '.'
though, you can add that in if you like.

Best regards,
Chris

>I want to back up a directory that contains many subdirectories
>using tar. I want to omit a subdirectory. What kind of regular
>expression would I use to do this assuming the structure is:
>
>parentdirectory
> backmeup
> metoo
> methree
> notme
>
>Thanks!
>
>Gawain

Chris Ruprecht
Network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre