bootx and newly recompiled kernel?

Subject: bootx and newly recompiled kernel?
From: Frank (fahkingbullsheet@mac.com)
Date: Wed May 09 2001 - 04:14:55 MDT

hey, i just installed YDL 1.2.1 on my Wallstreet Powerbook G3 233, 256mb
ram.. it runs badass, and i'm trying to recompile the kernel... i think i'm
compiling it right, but no one is able to tell me what to do after i compile
it. i tried mounting my HFS partition for MacOS, and cp'ing my new kernel
to my "linux kernels" folder in my System Folder, then going back to MacOS,
and opening BootX, but BootX is saying that it's not a valid kernel...
also, i'm not sure if i got the kernel from the right place.. also, i can't
find ANY documentation on this particular topic, and searched through the
archives for this list... can anyone help me with this? i'd really like to
recompile 2.4.4 and get it working... thanks,

-Frank Shelley

p.s.
to recompile it, i did make menuconfig, make dep, make clean, make zimage,
make modules, make modules_install. i'm not sure where it put the compiled
kernel... i named it "kernel244" when i saved it after i did a make
menuconfig.. i did a "whereis kernel244" and it gave me something like
/usr/src/linux/arch/ppc/<something else that i don't remember>. sorry if
this isn't enough info to help me, but this is only my 3rd day using Linux,
and i'm having a tough time, because no one on IRC or anywhere seems to
know/wants to help. anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this.

p.p.s
please lemme know if i did anything wrong, or if i did everything wrong, i'm
trying my best, but it's hard to do this for the first time with no help
from anyone else that's done it before.