RE: bootx and newly recompiled kernel?

Subject: RE: bootx and newly recompiled kernel?
From: Bryn Hughes (linux@mail.cbodycentral.net)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 12:28:13 MDT

Because the MacOS (which your Mac originally boots into) has no idea
what an ext2 file system is. Since BootX can only see what the Mac
can see (namingly MacOS partitions) the kernel file has to be
somewhere that it can actually be loaded from. BootX does need to
know where your linux system is on your disk (hence the reason you
have to point it to it) but it reads the kernel from the MacOS side.

Bryn