Re: quik on Umax C500

Subject: Re: quik on Umax C500
From: Ben Jansen (bmerlin@mac.com)
Date: Sat May 12 2001 - 15:14:17 MDT

On Saturday, May 12, 2001, at 11:43 AM, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> That suggests to me you're not using it right. :) But no one ever said
> you
> *have* to, so it's your call...
>
>> I used RPM 3 to install quik-2.0-j. I don't know why it didn't work
>> before.
>
> Hmm, everything in the ydl-2-beta directory should be in rpm4 format.
> You might
> still be running 4 without knowing it.

rpm --version returns 3.0.6. Go figure.

>> Now I can get past that, but I only have underscores marching down my
>> screen, one for each time OF tries the boot-command script. (I used the
>> one from LPPCs install guide to avoid default catch errors.)
>
> By "one", do you mean the little script that makes sure the disk has
> spun up?

Yes.

> Could you paste it here?

begin ['] boot catch 1000 ms cr again

> If it prints an underscore every time it loops, that
> could certainly explain the output below.

I'm guessing the underscores are some sort of error that it's not
printing out correctly.

> It does sound like that. You might be using the wrong boot-device, in
> which
> case the problem is not that the disk hasn't spun up, but rather that
> it's the
> wrong disk. :)

Well, the penguinppc howto did help a bit. All the other documentation
had the wrong boot-device setting. I've run into another problem,
though. Now, either it can't open the boot-file (when boot-device is set
to ata/ATA-Disk@0:0), or errors that CLAIM failed (when boot-device is
set to ata/ATA-Disk@0:3).

My root partition is on /dev/hda3 and quik says it installed there, so I
figured that's where I should point OF. But it doesn't work either way.

-Ben