Re: quik on Umax C500

Subject: Re: quik on Umax C500
From: Hollis Blanchard (hollis@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Sun May 13 2001 - 01:21:22 MDT

On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 02:14:17PM -0700, Ben Jansen wrote:

> > It does sound like that. You might be using the wrong boot-device, in
> > which
> > case the problem is not that the disk hasn't spun up, but rather that
> > it's the
> > wrong disk. :)
>
> Well, the penguinppc howto did help a bit. All the other documentation
> had the wrong boot-device setting. I've run into another problem,
> though. Now, either it can't open the boot-file (when boot-device is set
> to ata/ATA-Disk@0:0), or errors that CLAIM failed (when boot-device is
> set to ata/ATA-Disk@0:3).

I suspect you really mean 'ata/ata-disk@0:0' ? I'm no authority, but I don't
think I've ever seen ATA capitalized like that in an OF path.

> My root partition is on /dev/hda3 and quik says it installed there, so I
> figured that's where I should point OF. But it doesn't work either way.

It seems to me that you should use ata/ata-disk@0:3, since the 0 presumably
means IDE master and the 3 is the partition number. (I may be completely wrong
on that, but I wrote that down somewhere else too. :)

I'm not sure what could cause a CLAIM FAILED error.

-Hollis