Re: quik on Umax C500 (fwd)

Subject: Re: quik on Umax C500 (fwd)
From: Ben Jansen (bmerlin@mac.com)
Date: Sun May 13 2001 - 23:00:03 MDT

On Sunday, May 13, 2001, at 08:10 PM, Hollis Blanchard wrote:

>>> Well, the penguinppc howto did help a bit. All the other documentation
>>> had the wrong boot-device setting. I've run into another problem,
>>> though. Now, either it can't open the boot-file (when boot-device is
>>> set
>>> to ata/ATA-Disk@0:0), or errors that CLAIM failed (when boot-device is
>>> set to ata/ATA-Disk@0:3).
>>
>> I suspect you really mean 'ata/ata-disk@0:0' ? I'm no authority, but I
>> don't think I've ever seen ATA capitalized like that in an OF path.
>
> Yeah, on some models it is capitalized. OF is very evil on oldworld
> machines.
>
> On your machine is should be lowercase (as on most).

If it's not capitalized, it always complains that it can't open the
device.

> Yeah, there was a mistake on penguinppc.org/usr/quik/defaults.html,
> but I
> fixed that...
>
>>> My root partition is on /dev/hda3 and quik says it installed there,
>>> so I
>>> figured that's where I should point OF. But it doesn't work either
>>> way.
>
>> It seems to me that you should use ata/ata-disk@0:3, since the 0
>> presumably
>> means IDE master and the 3 is the partition number. (I may be
>> completely
>> wrong on that, but I wrote that down somewhere else too. :)
>
> Yeah, that's right.

I've pointed it to both 0:3 and 0:0, neither seem to satisfy it.

>> I'm not sure what could cause a CLAIM FAILED error.
>
> It means OF couldn't allocate some memory for some reason. It could be
> an
> invalid OF variable somewhere, a driver conflict, or some other random
> reason.
>
> Try reseting the PRAM and setting the settings up all over again. Also
> try
> typing in boot multiple times (hopefully that should work ; ).

Believe me, I type boot many times each time I try. ;P

Today I looked at my G4s OF settings. It had the boot-device set to
'mac-io/ata-disk@<number>@0:0'. Looking at the dev / ls on my Umax, the
<number> is 20000. So I set the Umax's boot-device to 'ata/ATA-
Disk@20000@0:0'--and it didn't fail to open, and didn't run into the
claim error.

The error this time was that it couldn't open the boot-file, which was
set to '/vmlinux root=/dev/hda3'. I had a copy of the kernel I use
there. I also tried setting boot-file to '/boot/ben-2.2.18.gz
root=/dev/hda3', which it still complained about.

I've also tried appending 'ata/ATA-Disk@20000@0:3' and 'ata/ATA-
Disk@20000@0:0' to the beginning of the path. It still says it can't
find it.

> Reinstalling the quik bootblock again might help, it's hard to say...

Resetting OF / reinstalling quik hasn't changed its behavior.

Does this look like a hopeless cause? Unless there's more documentation
out there, I don't know what else to try.

Thanks,
        Ben