Re: using ppp in other than root account

Subject: Re: using ppp in other than root account
From: Jeff Ross (jross@rossandgram.com)
Date: Tue May 15 2001 - 09:20:01 MDT

My first impression is that this is a file permission problem. Can you
send the error message you get? Does DNS work for other applications?
Can you open an xterm window and ping someone by domain name?

        ping rossandgram.com

Or, open an xterm window and try a web page with lynx

        lynx http://www.rossandgram.com

(You don't need to use my stuff, of course, but I'm pretty sure it'll be
up and running for your test :-)

Check the long listing of the home directory for the user you
are trying to access netscape from with

        ls -al | more

Seems to me that Netscrape keeps its files in a .netscape directory, so
you might cd into it and check there as well. You might find a file
needed by Netscape that is now owned by root.

If so, you'll need to (as root) change the ownership of the file(s) with
chown.

        chown username filename

Hope that helps,

Jeff Ross