Re: Help please

Subject: Re: Help please
From: david bourke (dmbourke@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue May 15 2001 - 14:15:53 MDT

Scott, i made a mistake in my instructions. the first part, (ps -ef | grep ftpd) will not show you anything even if your server is set up. ftpd, which is the ftp server, only starts running when a user tries to make an ftp connection. another way to check your setup is to ftp yourself,

ftp localhost

if you get a password prompt you know its running. but even if it is running there are a number of other errors you could possibly get instead of the password prompt, these depend on your hosts.allow, hosts.deny and ftpusers files. whenever you edit these files you'll need to do:

ps -ef | grep inetd

kill -HUP <second number of the inetd process>

this causes inetd (internet daemon) to re-read all its configuration files.

good luck.