RE: YDL and RealTekFE551 ethernet

Subject: RE: YDL and RealTekFE551 ethernet
From: Chris Ruprecht (cruprech@compucom.com)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 06:22:30 MDT

Sean,

As far as I know, the IP address to the NIC is assigned at boot time and
depends on your configuration. I went through this stuff about 2 weeks
ago on my RedHat box and I believe, YDL is very similar. What you need
to do is a:
netconfig [eth0]
where you can set the IP address or tell it to get one via DHCP. I did
this on my PB G3 and my old 9600 a while back but I use static IP
addresses in the 192.168.0 network.

What makes me extremely uncomfortable with the Network cards is the
dynamic assignment of the names (eth0, eth1, ...). I have 2 cards in my
RedHat machine, a 3Com 3C905 and a RT8139 based card. With kernel
2.2.17, which came with RedHat 7.0, both are seen at boot time, the RT
first, then the 3Com. After I built a new kernel (2.2.19 I think it was)
with IP firewalling installed, the RT was no longer detected and the
3Com became eth0. Now, nothing worked any more due to the fact that the
3Com is connected to the cable modem and the RT is connected to the
local LAN. It took about 4 hours to get the system back to where it was
before I started fiddling with all the stuff ... what a mess!

As to the system info which scrolls past to fast, have a look into
/var/log/messages.

Best regards,
Chris