Video and Power Macintosh 8600/300

Subject: Video and Power Macintosh 8600/300
From: Timothy Morgenthaler (tamorgen@aol.net)
Date: Mon May 21 2001 - 06:29:07 MDT

I just got an old Power Mac 8600/300 that I'm trying to set up with
Yellow Dog 1.2. Once 2.0 comes out, this issue may go away, but until
then, I'd like to figure this out. I'm trying to get a video mode
besides 8 bit color. The best I've been able to do so far is 1024x768,
8-bit color. I should be able to go 24-bit color, albeit at poor
resolutions. Ideally, I'd like to set my Mac to 16 bit, 1024-768. How
do I do this? I've tried a number of things, from just letting
Xconfigurator do it by itself, to manually editing XF86Config and
setting the proper video mode. At this point, the problem does not seem
to be my monitor, but the video card itself. Although it scans it as
"control", 2 MB video ram, unaccelerated, it set's the mode in
XF86Config as "generic", 256 k. I've tried manually editing this with
no luck. I've also tried putting in kernel video arguments to set it to
the mode I would like, all to no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks.