XFree86 and ATI

Subject: XFree86 and ATI
From: Graham Leggett (minfrin@sharp.fm)
Date: Thu May 24 2001 - 06:47:53 MDT

Hi all,

This is probably a stupid question - but the answer seems nowhere to be
found. :(

I have been trying to build XFree86 v4.0.3 from source just to see if it
will work with my 1999 Powerbook G3. Everything builds fine, and
Xautoconfig creates a config file fine. The trouble is, when you try to
start X, it turns out that the ATI driver is nowhere to be found.

According to all the docs, the ATI driver is supported in v4.0.3, but
the annoying thing is that by default the driver doesn't seem to be
compiled in. Nor can I find any documentation anywhere to describe how
you would switch the module on, or compile it in.

Does anyone have any pointers on what I should do?

Regards,
Graham

minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street