Re: G4 Cube install [was: Re: YDL 2.0 Cds]

Subject: Re: G4 Cube install [was: Re: YDL 2.0 Cds]
From: Stephen Lewis (lewis@napanet.net)
Date: Sat May 26 2001 - 13:09:43 MDT

(while you wait for YDL 2.0...)
The YDL 1.2.1 disk *can* be used to install on
a G4 Cube with a 15inch LCD monitor.
Caveats:
You must not have more than 15 partitions,
You must not have a free partition before the Linux partition,
You cannot boot directly from the CD (e.g by holding down "C")
You need to copy 'yaboot' and 'yaboot.conf' off the CD,
  boot to Open Firmware (hold "Apple-Option-O-F") and
  at the prompt type 'boot: install-novideo' then
  installer will install a complete system from the CD.
Then boot to Mac-OS and edit 'yaboot.conf' to point to
  the hard disk partition - looks like this on mine:
---------------------
  image = hd:10,/boot/vmlinux
    label = linux-novideo-new
    root = /dev/hda10
    novideo
---------------------
Although it is best to use 'novideo' to get started (ie use OF
framebuffer)
you are *not* stuck with OF 8-bit video forever. The
video hardware is ATI Rage128 and you can change 'novideo'
to 'video=aty128fb:vmode:14' to use the ATY framebuffer.
Then you can edit '/usr/lib/X11/XF86Config' to use any
of 8,15,24 depths. *But* the 15 inch LCD display only knows
1024*768 resolution so don't change that. I recompiled the
kernel sources from 1.2.1 and they compiled OK on the Cube.
Other issues:
I am currently running kernel 2.2.18-8a.
New kernel uses new input devices for mouse. (turn 'gpm' off at install
run mouseconfig --noprobe by hand) then add new mouse devices.
(Sound not working on my system - not invetigated yet.)
Cannot change brightness on the display.
Clues for the LCD display at boot time:
  If display power lamp blinks bright there is a problem
  with the frame rate. (must be 60 Hz)
  If lamp is on dim but screen is black there is a problem
  with resolution. (must be 1024*768)
If console is black try logging in as root (blindly) and
type 'fbset 1024x768-60' and console will come to life.
Hope this helps someone,
Stephen Lewis