Re: Installing RedHat Linux software onto YellowDog Linux

Subject: Re: Installing RedHat Linux software onto YellowDog Linux
From: Mike Melanson (melanson@pcisys.net)
Date: Sun May 27 2001 - 21:07:13 MDT

On Mon, 28 May 2001, COLIN COMOLLATTI wrote:

> I am interested to find out if and how hard it is to port/install RedHat
> Linux software to YellowDog Linux?
>
> I would like to trial software on YellowDog Linux. However, I can only find
> a RedHat Linux RPMs and some open source versions.

        Well, if it's RedHat RPMs that contain x86 binaries (they'll have
names like package-1.2.3-i586.rpm) then you won't have any luck installing
and running them on a PowerPC architecture. If an RPM package name is
something like package-1.2.3-ppc.rpm, then it's okay to install the RPM on
your PPC machine.

        If you see software that doesn't yet have a PPC RPM and you would
like to help out (and the maintainers of such software would be greatly
appreciative, I guarantee) then download the .tar.gz source file and build
an RPM package that contains PPC binaries. If you want to learn how to
build an RPM, here's a HOWTO to get you started:
  http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/RPM-HOWTO/index.html

> This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity
> to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged,
> confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
> not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution of copying of
> communication in error, please notify us immediately by facsimile or
> telephone.

        That's quite a mouthful...:) You do realize, don't you, that
posting to a public mailing list such as this effectively makes your
communication a matter of public record?

--
	-Mike Melanson