Wireless PCMCIA

Subject: Wireless PCMCIA
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Sun May 27 2001 - 22:01:17 MDT

Hi - Machine is a PowerBook G3 (Lombard) running with CS 1.2 and a custom
built 2.2.18pre21 kernel. I am trying to set up for a wireless connection
using an Orinoco Silver PC card on the PowerBook (for starters, I am
trying to connect to a machine setup with an Airport Software Base
Station). I have, to the best of my knowledge, followed the directions on
Paul Lucas' site (thanks Paul!) pretty much to the letter. It appears that
things are almost working, but I have run into a problem that I have not
been able to get around.

PCMCIA is working, the appropriate module is loading, and some level of
communication is occurring between the system and the PC card. However,
the logs always report a resource failure (as shown below). I have tried
many different settings in config.opts, but have seen no real change in
behavior. The result is either the output shown at the bottom of this
message or a completely broken config. I have tried excluding no IRQ's,
excluding all IRQ's, explicitly providing an IRQ list, tweaking includes
for memory and ports, etc.

The only way I have found to get around the resource failure is to comment
out the code that performs the check. In this case the card claims to come
up, but reports the following.

index 0x01: Vcc 5.0, irq 0, io 0x0100-0x013f

Are these numbers even valid? They look strange to me, but I don't know
many of the details of Apple hardware. /proc/interrupts doesn't list the
PC card at this point. In this configuration, the log does report a MAC
address on wvlan0, however an attempt to connect results in timeouts
(wvlan_cs: wvlan0 Tx timed out! Resetting card) while waiting for a DHCP
response. All of the above applies both to a configuration using a patched
3.1.22 version of pcmcia-cs and an unpatched version 3.1.26. The wireless
connection does work from Mac OS 9.1.

If anyone has thoughts on where I might have gone wrong, I would really
appreciate the feedback.

Thanks.

Jim

-------------------

May 27 21:09:44 freyr cardmgr[2036]: starting, version is 3.1.22
May 27 21:09:44 freyr cardmgr[2036]: watching 1 sockets
May 27 21:09:44 freyr cardmgr[2036]: initializing socket 0
May 27 21:09:44 freyr kernel: cs: memory probe 0x80000000-0x80ffffff: excluding 0x80800000-0x808fffff
May 27 21:09:44 freyr cardmgr[2036]: socket 0: Lucent Technologies WaveLAN/IEEE Adapter
May 27 21:09:44 freyr cardmgr[2036]: executing: 'modprobe wvlan_cs'
May 27 21:09:44 freyr kernel: wvlan_cs: WaveLAN/IEEE PCMCIA driver v1.0.5-ppc
May 27 21:09:44 freyr kernel: wvlan_cs: (c) Andreas Neuhaus <andy@fasta.fh-dortmund.de>
May 27 21:09:44 freyr kernel: wvlan_cs: RequestIRQ: Resource in use
May 27 21:09:45 freyr cardmgr[2036]: get dev info on socket 0 failed: Resource temporarily unavailable