Re: httpd help??

Subject: Re: httpd help??
From: Mike Melanson (melanson@pcisys.net)
Date: Mon May 28 2001 - 08:45:15 MDT

On Mon, 28 May 2001, Mike Melanson wrote:

> On Mon, 28 May 2001, Sean O. Denney wrote:
>
> > Apache test page comes up. However, when I do
> > http://192.168.1.101/~sdenney or http://66.20.xxx.xxx/~sdenney it says
> >
> > FORBIDDEN: access denied.

[...]

> It's great fun to work with the flexibility and power of Apache on
> your own machine. If you *really* want to work in /~sdenny, then look for
> the word 'UserDir' in your httpd.conf file. The option may be commented
> out.

        Oops, I just checked this out on my machine and if you really want
to go the home directories route, then you probably just have the wrong
directory permissions on your home directory. Do 'chmod 701 ~' to change
your home directory to rwx-----x permissions which will let the world
enter that directory and also 'chmod 701 ~/public_html' (you do have a
~/public_html dir, right?) to let the world enter that directory, too.

        Again, I would recommend working in the root Apache directory
rather than your home directory.

--
	-Mike Melanson