Re: httpd help??

Subject: Re: httpd help??
From: Chris Ruprecht (chrup@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon May 28 2001 - 09:37:31 MDT

>On Mon, 28 May 2001, Mike Melanson wrote:

[snip]

> Oops, I just checked this out on my machine and if you really want
>to go the home directories route, then you probably just have the wrong
>directory permissions on your home directory. Do 'chmod 701 ~' to change
>your home directory to rwx-----x permissions which will let the world
>enter that directory and also 'chmod 701 ~/public_html' (you do have a
>~/public_html dir, right?) to let the world enter that directory, too.

Which directory is effected can be defined in httpd.conf once again.
By default it's public_html, you're right. But I usually rename that
to something shorter :).

> Again, I would recommend working in the root Apache directory
>rather than your home directory.

that is fine for a production environment at home. If you just want
to experiment with it and find out how things work so you can then
use that knowledge at work ... well, he needs to know all this stuff.
Next thing he'll be doing it to implement SSL ;).

BTW: Where can I get the 2.0 CDs tomorrow? Will CompUSA carry them?

Best regards and a nice holiday,
Chris

Chris Ruprecht
Network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre