RS/6000 43p-240 issues and questions

Subject: RS/6000 43p-240 issues and questions
From: Zachariah Mully (zmully@smartbrief.com)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 08:26:35 MDT

Hello all-
    I just inherited a 43p-240 (dual 166mHz 604e's with the 225-series 64pci
graphics card) and I am interested in getting YDL running on it... From what
I have read and seen on the linuxppc and YDL lists over the past couple of
days of research is that this model is either extremely rare or is not
supported/talked about by anyone. I was hoping that the instructions and
boot kernel supplied by Dan Burclaw would work on the 240, but I get as far
as this:
0> boot floppy:,\ZIMAGE, root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1 ...ok
copying OF device tree...
The LCD then reads "F05" for about 5-10 minutes before sometimes conking out
with a "185" error.
    I did find one post in the archives referring to this model which
suggested adding "video=ofonly" to the kernel arguments, but unfortunately I
am away from the office for a week so I won't be able to try it out. What I
am concerned about though is the video card... It seems to be another odd
ball IBM part, like the computer itself, that isn't documented well on IBM's
site. I have seen the list of supported RS/6000 cards, but I was wondering
if anyone has been able to get their machines working with this card... Or
for that matter, who with a 240, could give me more information or help
about this strange piece of machinery.

Thanks for the help and effort putting together this distribution.
Zack