RE: Purchase YDL 2.0 from CompUSA? NEVER!

Subject: RE: Purchase YDL 2.0 from CompUSA? NEVER!
From: Michael Tucker (mtucker@eecs.harvard.edu)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 16:26:12 MDT

Ahh Demo-Days :)

   I was the Apple Salesperson when 8.5 was released, so I remember those
quite well ;)... If you are really interested in getting a job at CompUSA,
go directly to the store and speak with any of the managers I mentioned in
my previous post (HW, Retail, GM... and of course Service). Maybe it is
different in other parts of the country, but in the Boston area, as of a
year ago there was a standing unofficial policy that they were always
hiring for Mac. When I told my manager that I wanted to go to the service
department, he paid for me to take the test (no questions asked), and told
me afterwards that I was the only person who had expressed any interest in
a Mac technician job in over 2 years. That was in the summer of '99. I
left before the end of that year, and as of this January, no one had
replaced me (so, at that store there was only one Mac certified
technician... and he was part-time). This lack of technicians (and sales
people) does admittedly make for a Mac-phobic store, but it seems not many
Mac folks are actually going in looking for jobs and forcing the issue!

Well, that was a bit off-topic, but here's something more related to
YDL. It doesn't seem there are many resellers in New England, but even if
Microcenter does not end up stocking YDL2, there is a place in Nashua NH
that will take orders. E-mail for contact info (thanks to Patric
Callahan!)

Mike