Re: switching from debian to YDL2.0

Subject: Re: switching from debian to YDL2.0
From: Scott Frankel (leknarf@pacbell.net)
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 23:27:55 MDT

I tried YDL v1.2 last year. Though I didn't have the same experience you
describe,
I found that most of the work I was doing at the time was MacOS depedent.
Plus, USB support was dodgy, Firewire non-existant, yaboot was in its
infancy,
and my PowerBook had the slimest of kernel support.

I thought I'd test the Linux waters again; but YDL 2.0 seemed slow in
coming.
So I tried Debian. Their apt-get/dselect tool really is terrific! I'm
hoping the
YDL folks have some of the kinks worked out of their yup.

On the Debian side, being a non-profit org, with genuine names attached to
their
package/kernel support efforts is a strong plus. Ultimately though, I've
decided
to stick with Apple hardware -- at least for now. And it's awfully
compelling
dealing with people who focus on the niche architecture I've chosen. This
mail
list is a perfect example. The debian lists handle an enormous amount of
traffic.
Only a small portion of that -- or of the respondees -- deal with Linux on
Apple
hardware. I'm looking forward to asking bunches and bunches of more
questions
here ;)

If you wind up installing Debian on your Apple, I'd be happy to share some
of
my experiences. Though it's looking like another drive reformat is coming
my
way: it'll be a day or two before I'm back on the wire. Also note that I
never got
DSL/DHCP working properly. I'm writing this under MacOS ...

Scott