Re: Jumping Through the Hoops

Subject: Re: Jumping Through the Hoops
From: John Twelker (twelker@maui.net)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 15:58:35 MST

As a follow up to my first post, I'm happy to report that I finally was
able to run Xconfigurator and startx with the result that Linux booted
into KDE and I had some fun configuring KDE desktop, etc. Everything was
going fine until I went to print a page, forgetting I hadn't set up the
printer yet or even determined if drivers were available for the Epsom
Color Stylus 860. Everything locked up and I haven't been able to get
thru a SRR1 error in bootup (Save/Restore Register error: unknown value)
.. even with a cold boot or "extended rest". Seems to me an error trap
for an unconfigured printer is needed.

So now my question is, now what? Seems to me a re-install is indicated
because I surely don't know of any way to get around the SRR1 error ...
is there?

Incidentally, running Xconfigurator just repeated the values I'd entered
during the install ... except this time I opted for 16 bit color instead
of the 32 bit. Suppose that could have been the trouble with the first
install?

Thanks for any answers you can give ... and if a re-install is needed,
that's OK --- hard to complain about a 15 minute painless install!

Aloha from Maui,
John Twelker