Re: problems with new iBook

Subject: Re: problems with new iBook
From: William F. Hostman (aramis@gci.net)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 14:19:21 MST

>Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 12:50:59 -0500 (EST)
>From: Jeremy Hansen <jeremy@xxedgexx.com>
>Subject: Re: problems with new iBook
>

>So ok, sorry if I'm confused here. From what I read, I thought yaboot
>allowed you to not even need MacOS installed. But now I hear I should use
>different kernels which I place into my System folder. So here's where
>I'm getting confused I guess. If I have no MacOS installed and yaboot
>doesn't require MacOS, then how and why do I need to place this new kernel
>in my System folder.
>
>Can someone maybe give me a biggers run down on the steps involved in
>booting and installing with this new kernel?
>
>Thanks
>-jeremy

To boot a "Newworld mac" (Most of the recent and IIRC all current models),
you will not need MacOS at all once configured, assuming you aren't running
MOL, or doing other wierd stuff.

Yaboot needs to be on an HFS partition. ANY OF bootscripts, bootloaders etc
are supposed to be on an HFS or HFS+ partition, from what I've read...

Yaboot can, but need not, reside in your valid system folder.
Yaboot can, as I run, be put onto a separate HFS partition. I dump kernels,
stuff I'm swapping over to the other os (I do mount this partition in YDL),
and keep my Yaboot.conf here.

to get to yaboot you do some open firmware stuff; I find it easiest for me
to manually type "open hd:12,yaboot.tbxi"

Bootx, which is for non-newworld macs, requires macos. Yaboot doesn't.

William F. Hostman | "Smith & Wesson: THe original Point and Click
interface!"
Aramis 0602 C55A364-C S kk+ as+ hi+ dr+ va++(--) so+ zh++ vi+ da++ sy- ge-
533
aramis@gci.net http://home.gci.net/~aramis Vilani: uilamaanamti sirohbrankilin
IMTU 1.0: tc tm++ tn- t4-- tt+ to- tg-- ru+ ge 3i+ c+ jt-() au+ st- ls
pi+() ta+ he+(-) kk+ as+ hi+ dr+ va++(--) so+ zh++ vi+ da++ sy- ge- pi+