Trouble burning CD w/ Toast 4.1

Subject: Trouble burning CD w/ Toast 4.1
From: Jim Kroger (kroger@Princeton.EDU)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 19:08:18 MST

Hi,

I am having trouble making a bootable CD. I downloaded the yellow dog
iso (app 650 megs). First, I mounted this with disk copy. I drug the
mounted disk to toast 4.1, which automatically switched to files and
folders (I had selected disc copy). I burned the CD. But putting in
my CD drive, and holding down c, does not work and the mac boots into
Mac OS. I retried with Toast 3.5.7, doesn't see our firewire burner.
I drug the iso file itself into Toast 4.1 and burned a CD containing
it, of course that didn't boot. I tried changing creator (CDr3) and
type (hImg), no luck. Nothing lets my mac boot off the CD (but I can
boot from a Mac OS CD).

Are İhere instructions for burning the CD under toast 4.1? I have
read every thread on CD burning on the yellow dog site, and the files
at www.linuxiso.org (which only refers to linuxppc). Lots of advice
but always pertaining to Toast 3.5.7; 4.1 does not have the option
everyone recommends. I just tried common sense but I guess I need
some directions. I have to use Toast 4.1 and our firewire burner.

Incidentally, what is the difference between a .iso and a .img file?

Why doesn't Yellow Dog have instructions for this on their site? I
guess the answer to that is obvious....

Thanks
Jim

James K. Kroger, Ph.D.
Center for the Study of Brain, Mind, and Behavior
Department of Psychology
3-N-4D Green Hall
Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08544-1010, USA