Re: raidtab -- It worked!

Subject: Re: raidtab -- It worked!
christopher.murtagh@wcg.mcgill.ca
Date: Thu Nov 02 2000 - 07:53:29 MST

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> I managed to get raidtab to work and I can now mount two 36GB drives as 1
>> single 72GB drive (raid0). What I did to make it work was simply upgrade
>> to CS 1.2.1! Damn!
>>
>> I still get a strange error message at bootup however (even though
>> everything works), wondering if anyone might know what is the cause:
>>
>> I get the message:
>>
>> Invalid argument: /dev/md0
>
>Sounds like the raid module isn't loading? Maybe you need to "insmod
>raid0"?

 Yeah, I had figured something like that as well. When I would cat
/proc/mdstat I would get this:

Personalities :
read_ahead not set
md0 : inactive
md1 : inactive
md2 : inactive
md3 : inactive

 and if any of the raid modules were loaded they should show up in the
Personalities. So, I did a 'modprobe raid0' I got [raid0] as a
personality. I then ran 'mkraid /dev/md0' which gave me the same problem,
followed by 'raid0run /dev/md0'. This seemed to have worked and it spewed
out a whole bunch of data to the screen. I then did a 'mke2fs /dev/md0'
and inserted a line in /etc/fstab. When I rebooted, I was expecting to
have to 'insmod raid0' but for some reason, I didn't and it has been
mounting without any problems.

 Oh, and one other thing I had to change... I changed the partitions on
the two 36GB drives to type 83 (Linux) from type fd (Linux raid
autodetect). This stopped the kernel from complaining at boot up.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada