YDL 1.2 _working_ on a 466MHz iBook

Subject: YDL 1.2 _working_ on a 466MHz iBook
From: Steve Gula (loco3kgt@creepingdeath.com)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 00:48:08 MST

Ok... here's been my fun so far...

first off, I have 3 partitions on my HD.. 8GB HFS and 2GB (minus 128MB for
Swap) as my linux root.

First off, I booted off the cdrom to notice the kernel doesn't support my
IDE stuff. So I went to ppclinux.apple.com~/benh , got the newest kernel he
had, renamed it vmlinux and put it in my system folder. Then I got his
version of yaboot and put it in the system folder. Then I made a yaboot.conf
in the system folder to look like this :

init-message = "\nWelcome to Yellow Dog Linux!\nHit <TAB> for boot
options.\n\n"
timeout = 150
default = install

image = hd:9,\\\\vmlinux
    label = install
    initrd = cd:,\\\\ramdisk.image.gz
    novideo

Then booted into Open Firmware and ran : boot hd:9,\\yaboot

That got me into the install program. At this point, selecting the CD as the
source for install would _not_ work. For some reason the program would just
sit there and the CDROM never spooled up. So I would have to reboot
(previous method). I tried teh HD install next (I copied the entire
YellowDog directory to hd:9), however the install said /dev/hd9 did not
exist so the mount failed. SO, I did a very minimal ftp install. Then I
rebooted, and adjusted my yaboot.conf. Apparently I did something wrong
because when booting linux it would output 6 lines of info about the system,
say "booting......." and just sit there. SO, I had a new problem. To fix
this, I deleted all current yaboot and linux stuff from my System Folder,
went back to ppclinux.apple.com/~benh , and put them all in the root
directory of my HFS partition. And then made a yaboot.conf in there with the
following :

init-message = "\nWelcome to Yellow Dog Linux!\nHit <TAB> for boot
options.\n\n"
timeout = 150
default = linux

image = hd:9,\vmlinux
    label = linux
    novideo

And in Open Firmware did the following : boot hd:9,\yaboot . And voila,
everything booted. After wetting myself and running around the room in joy,
I came back to my iBook and poked and prodded my way through what was
working. After installing probably more than 100 RPMs off of my YDL 1.2 CD,
I ran X. KDE2 gave me problems (which I could care less about, I am not fond
of it). so I installed WindowMaker, which worked. However, I only got 8 bit
color depth. I adjusted /etc/X11/XF86Config to reflect 16bit, but it didn't
like it. I haven't tried 24bit yet, just cause I didn't even think about it.

So, new questions are :
1) Is the framebuffer the only vidoe device supported in YDL? There were no
other XF86 libs (XG86_VGa, XF86_SVGA) in the RPM directory other than
XF86_FBDev.

2) what's libpdoc or something similar to that that KDE wants? That wasn't
in the RPM directory either.

btw, Xconfigurator automagically set the Pointer device to /dev/mouse ,
which may have existed but wasn't set up properly for my touchpad. Since I
use a usb mouse anyways, I just set it up to use that (mknod
/dev/usb/usbmouse0 c 13 63 I believe, and changed that in
/etc/X11/XF86Config).

This post was made cause I noticed other people having iBook problems and
for some magical reason mine just decided to start working. Hopefully this
can help those people in need.

--Steve "Loco3KGT" Gula