Re: cd player

Subject: Re: cd player
From: Stew Benedict (stewb@centurytel.net)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 04:27:10 MST

This is a really dumb thing Apple has done, ranking right up there with
Winmodems, Winprinters and all the other crippled hardware the
manufacturers throw at us to save a nickel. Now they've taken a nice
logical piece of hardware, that did it's own audio processing, and thrown
it back onthe machine, so we can tie up our machine doing audio ripping,
just to PLAY a CD, instead of using it's processing power for our WORK.

That said, has anyone looked at using cdparanoia or cdda2wav, both of
these claim to be able to rip and put the output right into /dev/dsp.
I don't own one of these crippled things (thank God!), but it may be worth
a try.

Stew Benedict
\