YDL vs SuSe 7.0 PPC

Subject: YDL vs SuSe 7.0 PPC
From: Tony Yazbeck (tyazbeck@bigfoot.com)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 06:02:54 MST

Hi,

Has anyone had experience with both of these versions of Linux. How do they
compare? I've been doing some research, it seems like SuSe provide better
all around support and maintenance to its version of Linux. For example, I
am currently running YDL 1.2.1 and want to install Kde 2.0. At first glance,
I saw that on the KDE.org site, there was no ready rpm's ready for YDL, so I
wrote them an email asking them when they expect to have one. I got a
response almost immediately saying that Kde.org donšt provide the rpms for
the different platforms themselves, but rather the different companies
compile their versions and send it FDE to post on their site. KDE also
mentioned that YDL has never done so in the past and that I was better off
compiling a version myself. I'm a beginner to Linux, and while I'm learning
pretty quickly about the ins and outs of compiling, it can still be quite
intimidating. As a newcomer to Linux, I would much rather have most things
made easy so that I can more comfortably learn.

Can anyone provide more info here?

Thanks

T.