Re: YDL vs SuSe 7.0 PPC

Subject: Re: YDL vs SuSe 7.0 PPC
From: Jim Kroger (kroger@Princeton.EDU)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 08:30:41 MST

I'm about at the same stage as you.

1. I checked out the websites for Suse, LinuxPPC, Yellow Dog, and
Debian. I basically wanted to see how long it would take me to get
confused and hopelessly lost (or whether I'd be able to find my way
around). At the Debian site I was instantly lost, couldn't figure out
how to download. Suse has a well-developed site but in the end i
could not find the price, nor how to download. Yellow Dogs site was
good, and LinuxPPC's was more amateurish, but at both I could find
the downloads (with a little help here for YD).

2. I got the installation manuals for Yellow Dog and for LinuxPPC.
The LinuxPPC one is not exactly bad, but rather confusing in the
beginning, could use some revision for clarity. Yellow Dog's is a
professional-level manual, as good as most manuals I've seen, clear,
complete, and straightforward (as far as I've gotten anyway).

3. I subscribed to the mailing lists for the four distributions.
After a week, Suse's has had two postings, Debian and LinuxPPC and
Yellow Dog have had many. LinuxPPC is a little ahead of Debian, and
Yellow Dog is almost double LinuxPPC. Clearly, if you need a
distribution with the best supporting community, Yellow Dog is the
winner. I have already gotten good help here.

4. So, I am getting Yellow Dog.

Jim

----- At 8:02 AM -0500 on 11/3/00, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Has anyone had experience with both of these versions of Linux. How do they
>compare? I've been doing some research, it seems like SuSe provide better
>all around support and maintenance to its version of Linux. For example, I
>am currently running YDL 1.2.1 and want to install Kde 2.0. At first glance,
>I saw that on the KDE.org site, there was no ready rpm's ready for YDL, so I
>wrote them an email asking them when they expect to have one. I got a
>response almost immediately saying that Kde.org don't provide the rpms for
>the different platforms themselves, but rather the different companies
>compile their versions and send it FDE to post on their site. KDE also
>mentioned that YDL has never done so in the past and that I was better off
>compiling a version myself. I'm a beginner to Linux, and while I'm learning
>pretty quickly about the ins and outs of compiling, it can still be quite
>intimidating. As a newcomer to Linux, I would much rather have most things
>made easy so that I can more comfortably learn.
>
>Can anyone provide more info here?
>
>Thanks
>
>T.

James K. Kroger, Ph.D.
Center for the Study of Brain, Mind, and Behavior
Department of Psychology
3-N-4D Green Hall
Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08544-1010, USA