Re:Jumping Through the Hoops

Subject: Re:Jumping Through the Hoops
From: Papa Maui (papamaui@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 11:05:42 MST

> Subject: Re: Jumping Thru the Hoops
> Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 09:43:26 -0500 (EST)
>> On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Mark Rissman wrote:
> >For example, I could not boot until someone
explained
> >I should change the following
> >
> >image=hd:,\\vmlinux

> >image=hd:9,\\\\vmlinux
> >
> Hrm, I'm not sure why this was causing a problem
for you. I have this:

/pci@f2000000/pci-bridge@d/ATTO,ExpressPCIProUL2D@4,1/@0,0:7,vmlinux

> (my yaboot and vmlinux files are at root level, not
in a system
> folder) and it works without any problems.
>
> I have also recently installed YDL on 4 G4s,
without any problems that
> you are experiencing. Are you putting the yaboot and
vmlinux files inside
> a MacOS system folder?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris
>
> Christopher Murtagh
> Webmaster / Web Communications Group
> McGill University
> Montreal, Quebec
> Canada

Aloha from Maui,

My best guess is that there is more to it than just
"old world" and "new world"
machine differences ... and that the "latest new
world" machines need a different
syntax, "\\\\" instead of "\\". My brand new iMac 500
is the latest release and the
"\\" does not work. It might be helpful for users who
are having trouble with the
instructions in the CS 1.2.1 manual ... and who have
the "latest new world" machines,
to try the new "\\\\" syntax. Remember to add the
partition number, i.e.
"image=hd:[partition number where files were copied
to],[\\] or [\\\\]vmlinux". Mine
reads "image=hd:9,\\\\vmlinux" without the quote marks
of course and I copied the
files to System Folder on OS 9.

Aloha,

John Twelker