Re: libstdc++ problems

Subject: Re: libstdc++ problems
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 16:12:20 MST

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Steve Bush wrote:

> I installed YDL 1.2 from CD on my PowerCurve 120 (see specs below) and
> when I went to run startx, I got a message stating the following
> file is missing:
>
> libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3

I don't understand why... that's definately installed as part of the
default installation. rpm -q libstdc++ for me? If it's not installed,
check /tmp/install.log to see if there was an error installing from the
CD.

> I poked around in some of the other PPC Linux mailing list archives and
> found that this lib comes from either:
>
> libstdc++-2.10.0-0a.ppc.rpm or
> gcc-2.95.2-1g.src.rpm

For us it comes from the libstdc++ package, which is at version
libstdc++-2.10.0-1i at the moment.

> It looks like there is a difference in shared libs depending on which
> compiler you use. i.e.
>
> egcs(-c++-1.1.2-12c) uses libstdc++-libc6.1-1.1.so.2 and
> gcc-2.95.2(-1g.src.rpm) uses libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3

Forget egcs. That's old and not even included on recent YDL CD's (like
1.2).

> So I'm guessing some of the executables were built with egcs and some
> with gcc-2.95.2???

Definately not...

[snip]

Anyways, just mount your CD and install it. rpm -Uvh
/mnt/cdrom/YellowDog/RPMS/libstdc++-2.10.0-1i.ppc.rpm

-Hollis