Keyboard, new vmlinux, updates?

Subject: Keyboard, new vmlinux, updates?
From: John T. Chapman (dreamline@mac.com)
Date: Sun Nov 05 2000 - 09:35:20 MST

Well, I just reinstalled Champion Server 1.2 on my Sawtooth G4 and am
running into a number of problems:

1) I ran yup and got a lengthy list of updates. However, yup kept
failing after downloading and listing the packages. I manually was
able to upgrade most packages by explicitly specifying them in yup
and narrowed down the bad package to a kernel-pcmcia package. All
other packages seemed to update fine.

2) I tried rebooting after that and I keep getting errors in load
process. Namely, there is an error in the dependancies check -
something about unable to open modules.xxx for write. Also, the eth0
driver fails.
Note that everything loaded fine before adding all the yup updates.

3) I then replaced vmlinux with the latest vmlinux from the updates
directory. After that, I don't get load errors, but the keyboard
isn't recognized. I can type at the boot prompt, but not once the
kernel loads and I'm at the login prompt. (Note - I had the same
problems when originally trying to Install; I had to rev. back to the
older vmlinux because the keyboard wasn't recognized at the initial
Install screen.) Reverting to the previous vmlinux fixes the keyboard
problem, but re-introduces the load errors.

General info: G4/450 AGP (Sawtooth), Apple Standard USB keyboard,
Contour Unimouse 3-button mouse. 256MB RAM. YDL installed to
partition on ATA66 drive. Boot files on HFS partition on same drive;
running yaboot 0.9

Thanks!

--
   John T. Chapman                               dreamline@mac.com