Modem evilness with YDL v1.2.1

Subject: Modem evilness with YDL v1.2.1
From: Graham Leggett (minfrin@sharp.fm)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 12:19:42 MST

Hi all,

For quite a while now I have been having problems with the built in
modem on the 1999 Bronze Powerbook G3 and Linux.

Using gnome-ppp to dial up, dialing up works a few times, and then
gnome-ppp bombs out and refuses to run complaining of an "ioctl failure"
on the modem.

To fix this, simply unload the macserial driver and run gnome-ppp again
- the trouble is that the YDL version of the v2.2.17 kernel is built
without modules, meaning I have to (gasp!) reboot the machine every few
hours to get serial back, a *really* annoying procedure.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Regards,
Graham

minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon