Installing with a kernel other than the one on the CD?

Subject: Installing with a kernel other than the one on the CD?
From: Stephen R. Anderson (sra@bloch.ling.yale.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 15:06:44 MST

I just got YDL CS 1.2.1 to install on my 500 MHz dual-G4 with SCSI
disks and a cinema display. Unfortunately, I'm finding that this is
nowhere near as simple as when I installed various forms of MkLinux
and LinuxPPC on 604 and G3 hardware....

First, the boot disk won't boot. After setting up the disk with HD
Setup (2 5G HFS partitions, and the remaining 25G for linux), trying
to start up with "c" just gets me to a black screen.

I found that I could get further by booting into OF, and then doing
boot cd:,\\:tbxi
That gets me to the bootscript. If I then just choose "install" at
that point, I get the back screen again, but if I choose
"install-novideo" I get (after a couple of messages about "wrong
partition 1 signature") a penguin, and the kernel boots. It took me a
few tries to get past the startup screen, but I finally found a
combination of USB connections that would let me use the keyboard. A
couple of screens later, though, it goes to set up the disk...and
complains that I don't have any disks, and should set up a scsi
controller. But of course it won't let me do that, since even in the
menu, it claims it has already finished that step.

OK, the problem seems to be that I have the newer ATTO card,
ExpressPCIProUL3D, and that doesn't work (according to the list
archive). So perhaps if I use a later kernel? I have the patched
2.2.18pre(something) kernel that Eric Lowe made available for dual-G4
machines, but I can't figure out how to use it. The installer stuff is
all on the CD, right, including vmlinux? I tried copying everything
from the Install folder on the CD into my Mac system folder, and
replacing the original vmlinux with this more recent one, but I can't
figure out how to boot from that stuff via Open Firmware. And of
course I also don't know if that kernel supports this card.

Any help would be much appreciated.

--Stephen R. Anderson
Professor of Linguistics and Cognitive Science (Chair)
Yale University
Box 208236 Yale Station
320 York Street
New Haven, CT 06520-8236