Re: KDE 2.0

Subject: Re: KDE 2.0
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 17:40:57 MST

This is a highly summarized digest of the many messages in several
threads on yellodog-general on the topic of KDE2.

I intend to learn what's involved in upgrading to KDE2 for Champion
Server 1.2 and 1.2.1 I'll publish a summary of what I've learned so
far, and my next question tommorow under this thread. Stay Tuned:

Under the thread KDE2.0

Tony Yazbeck wrote on 10/30/2000

> KDE 2.0 is available however, compiled version for YDL doesn't exist

Scott cole wrote on Mon, 30 Oct 2000 07:31:01 -0500

In that regard, I note the suse web site has ppc.rpm's available as an
update to 7.0 (didn't know they had that out for ppc). Is there any
reason (read dependencies) that these would not work on CS 1.2 distro?

Answer not yet known but Dippy Blacke wrote on 10/30

Not sure where you tried at but here is the one I found
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/ppc/KDE2/update_for_7.0/

Phillipe Tapon wrote on 10/30 general advice on building that might
apply to KDE.

Dippy Black wrote about having hosed his X trying for 4.0 and as a
result being hesitant to upgrade KDE.

Alfredo suggested the following link:

I found this link. You might want to use it, you might not.

http://www.suse.com/us/support/download/kde2/index.html

Under the thread kde2 :)

Nathan Hjelm wrote:

check out
ftp://ftp.linuxppc.org/linuxppc-halloween/software if
you want to get ahold of the kde2 rpms designed for
Redhat based ppc distros and not SuSE.

Sam Moore wrote:
Quick hit on that - the qt available at ftp.linuxppc.org is 2.2.0 - KDE
wants
2.2.1 or better - I'm downloading, and will try to compile,
qt-2.2.1-1.6x.src.rpm from kde.org, unless someone knows of a PPC binary
rpm...

to which Neill Jolly replied:
http://www.msoe.edu/~geiseri/kde2/

Under the heading: YDL vs SuSe 7.0 PPC

Tony Yazbeck asked kde.org if they provide PPC rpms and they said no and
that YDL has not sent them rpms either. They further said he would be
better off compiling KDE himself. Tony says he's a newcomer and would
rather start on something simpler to build.

Patrick Callahan replied with a list of questions (partly answered in
his post, about obtaining and building kde.) He also asked if YDL had
built KDE2.

Charles Stevenson of terraplex replied yes they had built it. and if he
has time he will build rpm 3 rpms

Charles Later wrote that he has a few rpms up at:
http://www.metaltux.org/~core/files/RPMS/combined/
One would need RPM4 and a bit of experience to install them I assume...