Colormap problems with DualG4 500 w/ ATI Radeon

Subject: Colormap problems with DualG4 500 w/ ATI Radeon
From: Victor Danilchenko (danilche@cs.umass.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 09:47:34 MST

        Hi,

        Thanks to a hint from Stephen Anderson, I was finally able to
boot and install Linux on my MPG4, by running from OpenFirmware: "boot
cd:,\\:tbxi". Everything worked (although the supplied beta SMP kernel
refused to recognize my keyboard, so I have to run with standard kernel
now) -- with one problem: when I start X, it comes up, but the colormap
is completely wacky -- all of the colors are not what they are supposed
to be.

        I tried reconfiguring video from MacOS to be 24-bit and 16-bit,
re-running Xconfigurator under Linux each time -- with no effect; the
colormap is just as messed up now as it was before (but other than
screwed-up colors, X runs fine). I could probably yank the ATI Rage128
from my old system and use that with kernel video driver, but I would
really rather just get Radeon to work correctly.

        Does anyone have any idea how such a problem can be solved?

        Thanks in advance,

--
|  Victor  Danilchenko  | Of course my password is the same as    |
| danilche@cs.umass.edu | my pet's name. My macaw's name was      |