Re: iMac Linux computer lab

Subject: Re: iMac Linux computer lab
From: Reid Anderson (resander@cs.hamilton.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 16:39:46 MST

I don't know the answer to your question, but I too would be interested in a similar set up.

I have been asked to research and design a better system than what we use here now. The suggestion is being made for an OS X Server to net boot a lab full of Mac G4's. The Net Booting is not the main goal. Our only real goal is to get rid of "Assimilator"! You may know of this software, but it basically just sets a time at which the computer will go out and find our images on the network and do either a "Download All" or just a "Mod Only" download of the entire HD image. This takes about 20 min for a download all. It is also a horrible program and really annoying to use. Is there a way to set up the following:

        One lab full of approx 25-30 G4's running OS 9.0.4 currently (maybe 9.5 when it comes out or X)

        One server (Linux or OS X) with machine images.

        At a given time, the lab machines will suck down their image from the server.
        (Or possibly the server could control this and simply force down the image at a given time)

        Would Net-Booting a Mac OS machine be possible from a Linux server? I know it can be done with an OS X server, but perhaps we could get better performance from a Linux machine...

Any thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
        Reid Anderson
        resander@cs.hamilton.edu