[gnubee] netatalk difficulties. xfs 3.3.6 not playing ball with X 4.01

Subject: [gnubee] netatalk difficulties. xfs 3.3.6 not playing ball with X 4.01
From: philippe tapon (ptapon@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 17:58:37 MST

I'm having a couple of issues and I'd appreciate some guidance. . . .

I'm a complete beginner with netatalk and (linux) ethernet. When i try
launching appletalk it gives me

socket: Address family not supported by protocol
socket: Address family not supported by protocol
atalkd: can't get interfaces, exiting

how can I fix this? I want to be able to print things. On the MacOS
side of this dual-boot machine I have an appletalk HP Deskwriter driver
which runs through ethernet to a Mac SE/30 running localtalk bridge and
then through [localtalk] phonenet to a Deskwriter 520; this works very
well. I've done my research and it is possible to set up something
similar on the linux side--at least, someone did with Mklinux, a
Deskwriter 540, ghostscript, two powerpcs, and an Asanté hardware
bridge. But first I have to get netatalk to work, and before that,
ethernet has to be up and running. I'm not getting pings or aechos.

part 2. After probably more than two weeks of efforts I still can't get
X 4.01 to work--problem with the font server. A lot of people get past
this problem by turning off the font server, which i've tried, but i
can't tweak the XF86Config and/or the initscripts so that X finds the
fonts it needs, and I don't know how to fix xfs. Any approach someone
might recommend? X 3.3.6 is working fine right now. Maybe I should
wait for this install to be easier, Rage 128 acceleration can wait. . .
. =)

thanks

philippe

iMac DV SE
2.4.0-test10 kernel from charles stevenson, thanks
2.4.0-test10 modules compiled from source
X 3.3.6 -> X 4.01
xfs 3.3.6
CS 1.2.1

--