Powerbook modem

Subject: Powerbook modem
From: Black (cpa@ece.cmu.edu)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 00:48:44 MST

I am hoping someone can help me with this one. I am running CS 1.2.1 on a
G3 series II powerbook (266), and I can't seem to get the modem to work.
Using a combination of O'Reilly's 'Running Linux' and Paul's helpful linux
on a powerbook pages I configured everything manually. I ended up with a
ppp-on script that looked like
exec /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/modem 57600 lock crtscts noipdefault defaultroute
0.0.0.0:0.0.0.0 connect chat_script

where the chat script looked like
exec chat -v [phone numbers logins etc]

I executed the ppp-on script and it never returned. I put some echos in
there, so I know it was executing, but it never returns from the pppd
call. The first time I ran it I gat a connection-error file dumped in
/etc/ppp that told me it couldn't find my script. I deleted it, and it
never came back, not even when I gave it a totally bogus name for my
chat script. I tried getting it to dump to logs, I enabled whatever the
write to local log as well flag was, but still no go.

I generally use KDE, I've been trying out afterstep, but I had remembered
there being some gui tool that in theory helped. So, I found the
connection setup tool in the Yellowdog folder and tried that out. Now, I
had thought that my modem was at dev/ttyS0, but when I let the tool do an
auto check it claimed that it found it at ttyS2. However, when I then did
a trial run, it came back with an error and a no response from modem. I
tried some of the other likely looking canidates (RH ppp tool or something
like that), but nothing worked, I can't get any response from my modem. I
know the modem works fine because I use it daily in Mac mode. Does anyone
have any ideas? Have I missed something vital about getting my modem
running?

-christopher