Re: [Newbie] xfs included with X 4.01 won't start

Subject: Re: [Newbie] xfs included with X 4.01 won't start
From: philippe tapon (ptapon@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 22:46:13 MST

> I'm still surprised that I have no fonts whatsoever in my
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts directory. In fact, I don't even have a /fonts
> directory there at all! Maybe I should just copy the X 3.3.6 fonts
> directory over to X 4.01. That couldn't make things any worse, could
> it? :) Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.

partially inspired by Christopher's very good-natured and informative
post, I went ahead and copied the entire /fonts directory in the X 3.3.6
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11 directory
over to X 4.01. it didn't seem subtle as far as solutions go, but to my
wonderment it worked! X 4.01 started with nary a complaint. Thanks for
all the help, to Iain especially. However be assured I will probably
post later as my backspace key has turned into a delete key, the meta
keys are AWOL, and the shell now has trouble recognizing commands like
"term." Er, what-ever. . . . =). . . .

peace

philippe

--