Compiling the Kernel

Subject: Compiling the Kernel
From: Nixon Morada (nixonm@nethere.com)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 23:53:13 MST

First off I the response to my previous questions were right on the
money. My problem with Helix-Gnome update, which I thought was a Yup
problem was solved by just deleting the offending package (xmorph) that
I didn't need anyways.

And I found on the lists at Helix that if you are upgrading sawfish you
need to make sure you delete the old ".sawfish" configuration files or
you will get strange crashes in gnome-sawfish.

Now for new business. I used yup to upgrade my kernel, sources,
headers, modules, etc. I transferred the vmlinux file to the Mac
partition. And it works but I like to turn off all the stuff that I
don't use like USB, Altivect, the video drivers for all the video cards
I wish I had but don't... . And I like to switch the SCSI's
synchronous rate to 10. Well, I did this on the previous kernel (2.2.17
) and it compiled and and everything was fine. But since I grabbed the
new source (2.2.17-0.6.1) through yup allong with all the other
recommended updates my compiles have been failing with errors like
"Illegal Instruction" or just core dumped. I can restart the 'make
dep', 'make modules' and 'make vmlinux' and sometimes they fail at
different places. My questions are: 1) Where do I start to correct
this? 2)Can this be a sign of a hardware problem?

I only upgraded the kernel figuring that there was something that
2.2.17-0.6.1 was going to fix that 2.2.17 hadn't addressed for the ppc.
But I haven't been able to get either 2.2.17 or 2.2.17-0.6.1 to compile
right since the yup upgrade.

By the way, does any out there use a Castlewood SCSI external Orb drive
with their YDL setup? I had mine working in Mklinux but since I have
been using YDL I haven't been able to get it to work without errors. I
can still use it on the Mac OS side though.

Nixon