Remote X through firewall?

Subject: Remote X through firewall?
From: Philip Good (phil@go2taichi.com)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 10:08:44 MST

I still cannot get an remote X session working from my work machine to my home machine: xhost +, ssh to home, export DISPLAY=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, xterm. The last comand teims out after about five minutes saying it cannot open DISPLAY.

I'm thinking my remote X problems are because I am ssh-ing out of my workplace through a firewall. I can ssh out directly to my home machine from work but in order to ssh from home to work I need to go through first an external server (wormhole.xxx.com), then ssh to my work box (mylocalhost). I'm suspecting when I ssh out to my home machine that I am not correctly setting the DISPLAY to get back to my work display through the firewall.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to set the DISPLAY to get to my work machine through a firewall, i.e. 'wormhole.xxx.com' then to 'mylocalhost'?

Thanks
Phil