SCSI tape problems

Subject: SCSI tape problems
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@IainStevenson.com)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 16:11:19 MST

Oh boy ....

I have a SCSI tape - Travan NS20 based - which I can't get to work properly.
It is recognised on boot and flexbackup (a backup script package) says it is
writing records to tape although there are device errors in the console
window. However, it is not writing to tape correctly. I've tried several
backup programs with the same sort of results.

Doing an 'mt -f /dev/st0 erase' eventually, after much whirring, produces an
i/o error. The drive is correctly terminated with no SCSI ID conflicts
(I've checked). I'd really appreciate some suggestions for next steps to a
solution.

  Iain