Xfree 4.0 purgatory

Subject: Xfree 4.0 purgatory
From: Sam Moore (samiwas@macconnect.com)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 19:55:30 MST

OK, still on the trail of a successful KDE2.0 install...
I've installed Xfree 4.0 in accordance with instrux at penguinppc.org, but still
can't startx. (BTW my iMac has a Mach card in it, but I'm pretty sure I've got
the driver built and in the right place)
Actually it tries to start KDE, and gets up to the point of playing a sort of
Windoze-like .wav file, then halts. On ctrl-alt-delete I get a few screenfuls
ending with

knotify: KNotify::notifyBySound - trying to play file
      /opt/kde2/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav
DCOP: register 'anonymous-6666'
DCOP: unregister 'ksplash'
DCOP: unregister 'anonymous-6663'
DCOP: unregister 'anonymous-6666'
DCOP: register 'anonymous-6666'
DCOP: unregister 'anonymous-6666'
DCOP: register 'kwin'
KDE detected X error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
   Major opcode: 14
KDE detected X error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
   Major opcode: 14
KDE detected X error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
   Major opcode: 14
KDE detected X error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
   Major opcode: 14
KDE detected X error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
   Major opcode: 14

[artsd] ** Fatal error (exiting) ** cpu overload, aborting
kdeinit: Fatal IO error: client killed
KLauncher: Exiting on signal 1
DCOP: unregister 'kded'
DCOP: unregister 'kwrited'
DCOP: unregister 'khotkeys'
DCOP: unregister 'klipper
DCOP: unregister 'kxmlrpcd'
DCOP: unregister 'klauncher_garuda.lungta.com_0'
DCOP: unregister 'kdesktop'
DCOP: unregister 'kicker'
DCOP: unregister 'knotify'
xinit: connection to X server lost.

Needless to say I'm clueless here...
Any help appreciated, as always.
cheers

Sam Moore <smoo@lungta.org>
dba Windhorse Studio * Maps & Information Design

Personal: http://www.lungta.org (not ready yet)
For the clan: http://smhtf.lungta.org
Work: http://www.ewcreative.com

"Good and bad, happy and sad, all thoughts vanish into
emptiness like the imprint of a bird in the sky."