Re: DHCP to Static IP

Subject: Re: DHCP to Static IP
From: cdowns (cdowns@skillsoft.com)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 12:39:18 MST

Philip Good wrote:

> I've been running my Pismo YDL 1.2.1 off our DSL using DHCP just because it
> was easiest to setup to get going. I'm now trying to switch over to use one
> of my static IPs. I've used netcfg to enter all of my host info, DNS info,
> etc. Changed the eth0 from DCHP to none. Put in my static IP and mask.
>
> After rebooting I do an ifconfig and my eth0 shows up as UP with the proper
> IP address and I can ping a local machine but cannot get anything outside of
> local network.
>
> What am I missing? Sounds like maybe a DNS problem? But my Name server IP's
> have not changed.
>
> Thanks
> Phil

vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
DOMAIN=
BROADCAST=
NETWORK=
NETMASK=
IPADDR=
USERCTL=no
ONBOOT=no
[root@dwarf_1 perl_scripts]#

fill in the info accordingly and never rely on netcfg or netconfig. if you need
the gateway you can do several of things:

/sbin/route add default gw 192.168.0.1 and then call it from
/etc/rc.d/rc.local

or

vi /etc/sysconfig/network ( this makes it permenent, basically the same as in
rc.local )

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=dwarf_1
FORWARD_IPV4=no