eth0 dies by ping

Subject: eth0 dies by ping
From: Jeff Tupholme (jeff.tupholme@openmethods.com)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 13:36:32 MST

Hi,

I'm running YDL CS 1.2 on a PowerCenter Pro 210 (604e, 64MB) using BootX.
I'm new to Linux but used to network admin from working with a Mac-based
ISP.

With the help of O'Reilly Running Linux I have got to the point of all
services coming up OK and the machine knowing its name and having the right
IP address (via DHCP). I'm not too sure about route - I've made changes to
add a default gateway that look correct but it's hard to check it out...

... because the networking on eth0 dies as soon as I ping. I get a couple
of echoes back from my gateway but then they stop and it is as though the
machine is off the network until I reboot. The same applies the other way -
after booting, I can ping it from outside but after two pings it
disappears. No matter where I ping from, after two pings there is no more
networking on eth0 in either direction.

I'm sure this must be something simple. Mac OS has no problem networking on
the machine so I know it is not a hardware problem. Any suggestions
gratefully received!

More generally, is anyone else using YDL CS on a PowerCenter Pro?

Thanks,

Jeff