G4 Cube & Sound

Subject: G4 Cube & Sound
From: Geoffrey L . Wright (geoff@northernwastes.org)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 17:58:17 MST

Am having problems with sound on sound on a G4 cube using Yellowdog 1.2.1.

Have followed the FAQ at:

http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/faq_solutions.shtml

But still no dice. If I do the alias sound dmasound manually it seems to
execute fine, but I still end up with no sound.

Trying xmixer gives me this:

 xmixer: Can't open /dev/mixer: No such device

Trying to use xmms yields similar (or related) results:

 ** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp): No
 such device

Is this a cubish issue, or is their more work to be done on sound
setup? HOWTO or other documentation out there?

And I admit -- I've been coddled by really standard by distros w/easy
sound configuration tools and very standard sound hardware, so I don't
know beans about sound on Linux even though I use it all the time.

Many thanks!

//glw