Re: KDE - more hassles

Subject: Re: KDE - more hassles
From: Sam Moore (samiwas@macconnect.com)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 21:08:23 MST

On 11/14/00 at 9:25 PM, pac1@tiac.net (Patrick Callahan) wrote:

> Sam Moore wrote:
>
> > Since kdeadmin-2.0-1a.ppc.rpm needs libbz2.so.1, I downloaded and installed
> > bzip2-1.0.1.tar.gz, as follows:
> >
> > tar -xvpzf bzip2-1.0.1.tar.gz
> > cd bzip2-1.0.1
> > make
> > make install
> >
> > The install seemed to go fine, but the rpm is still complaining that
> libbz2.so.1
> > isn't installed.
> > Did I miss something here?
> > BTW there are libs called libbz2.so, libbz2.so.0 and libbz2.so.0.0.0 at
> > /usr/lib.
>
> Maybe some force is needed?
>
> try the --force option on RPM.
Tried that, didn't work.

> I suspect from your description that RPM looks only at its own database to
> determine what is and isn't installed. however when I tried the RPM command
on
> bzip2, look's like I've got the earlier version.
>

> Seems I've got 0.95 installed from ydl and 1.0.1 installed over the top of it
> seems to work as bzip, but libbz2.so.1 isn't there on my machine either.
>
> would it work to create it as a link to /usr/lib/libbz2.a?
>

> /usr/lib/libbz2.a was written by the install for 1.0.1 when I re-installed it
> tonight. so where's libbz2.so.1? and what are all those libraries? Two are
ust
> links to the third, which is the real one. So why so.0.0.0? and why are the
two
> links so and so.0 needed? How did they come to be needed? Could it have been
> avoided? What creates the links? is it some automated facility that manages
> libraries as part of the make process. Lots to learn here...
>
> Can we just make libz2.so.1 point to libz2.a? or is there something that has
> be
> done to libz2.a first?
> Probably not, the files are not the same type:
>

> #file /usr/lib/libbz2.a
> /usr/lib/libbz2.a: current ar archive
> # file /usr/lib/libbz2.so.0.0.0
> /usr/lib/libbz2.so.0.0.0: ELF 32-bit MSB shared object, PowerPC or cisco 4500,
> version 1, not stripped
>
> to make a so.1 out of a .a, which fine manual should we read?
>

> ls -lah /usr/lib/libbz*
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 69k Nov 14 20:20 /usr/lib/libbz2.a
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 630 Feb 27 2000 /usr/lib/libbz2.la
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Nov 9 15:26 /usr/lib/libbz2.so ->
> libbz2.so.0.0.0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Nov 9 15:26 /usr/lib/libbz2.so.0
->
> libbz2.so.0.0.0
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 56k Feb 27 2000
/usr/lib/libbz2.so.0.0.0

> rpm still reports the 0.95 install as being in place even though some of the
> files
> are overwritten.
>

> rpm -qil bzip2
> Name : bzip2 Relocations: /usr
> Version : 0.9.5d Vendor: Terra Soft Solutions
> Release : 2 Build Date: Sun Feb 27 10:17:44
2000
> Install date: Thu Nov 9 15:26:01 2000 Build Host: tantive.terraplex.com
> Group : Applications/File Source RPM: bzip2-0.9.5d-2.src.rpm
> Size : 263260 License: GPL
> Packager : Yellow Dog Linux <bugs@terraplex.com>
> Description :
> Bzip2 is a freely available, patent-free, high quality data compressor.
> Bzip2 compresses files to within 10 to 15 percent of the capabilities
> of the best techniques available. However, bzip2 has the added benefit
> of being approximately two times faster at compression and six times
> faster at decompression than those techniques. Bzip2 is not the
> fastest compression utility, but it does strike a balance between speed
> and compression capability.
>
> /usr/bin/bunzip2
> /usr/bin/bzcat
> /usr/bin/bzip2
> /usr/bin/bzip2recover
> /usr/bin/bzless
> /usr/doc/bzip2-0.9.5d
> /usr/doc/bzip2-0.9.5d/README
> /usr/doc/bzip2-0.9.5d/manual_1.html
> /usr/doc/bzip2-0.9.5d/manual_2.html
> /usr/doc/bzip2-0.9.5d/manual_3.html
> /usr/doc/bzip2-0.9.5d/manual_4.html
> /usr/doc/bzip2-0.9.5d/manual_toc.html
> /usr/include/bzlib.h
> /usr/lib/libbz2.a
> /usr/lib/libbz2.la
> /usr/lib/libbz2.so
> /usr/lib/libbz2.so.0
> /usr/lib/libbz2.so.0.0.0
> /usr/man/man1/bunzip2.1.gz
> /usr/man/man1/bzcat.1.gz
> /usr/man/man1/bzip2.1.gz

Sam Moore <smoo@lungta.org>
dba Windhorse Studio * Maps & Information Design

Personal: http://www.lungta.org (not ready yet)
For the clan: http://smhtf.lungta.org
Work: http://www.ewcreative.com

"Good and bad, happy and sad, all thoughts vanish into
emptiness like the imprint of a bird in the sky."